Saturday, January 26, 2013

Sand Casting - My First Pour

Warming up the crucible.


Melting some scrap obtained from old blinds.


Put the crucible back in the furnace after my pour.  I still do not have a nice mould for pouring ingots.


Poured too much and burnt my flask!


Looking good!  Though, A "real" pour would not happen without being fully enclosed.


Burned again...


A few minutes later, I broke it out of the sand.


Char hut!  Lesson learned.


Notta bad!


Let's clean it up on the band saw.


All of those imperfections are just ugly.  I wish I had a milling machine in my garage.


Nip deh tip!


I put it in the vise for hand filing.


More hand filing.


Too tired... so this is where I quit.


My first sand casting!


These are what the poor mans sand casting tools look like, from left to right.
- an old rod I found in my yard
- a rod I cut off of my neighbors old lawnmower
- el cheap-o welding gloves from harbor freight
- a plumbers wrench


I actually used that plumbers wrench to grab the hot crucible.  That was quite exciting!

No comments: