Friday, January 23, 2009

Weather balloon - The Beginning

I had a dream the other day, that I sent my cell phone up in the sky attached to a balloon. In my dream, I wrote some code to send coordinates via MMS and I safely recovered it... When I woke up in the morning, I told my wife what I had dreamed and she called me nuts.

That morning I decided it: I am going to conquer the skies, via weather balloon.

Although in my dream everything went as planed, real-life is going to be a bit more challenging, especially in Florida (water, water everywhere...) I plan on embarking on two low altitude test flights, then two high altitude flights. The first flight will take place strictly to test out hardware. After all, this is my first balloon. My primary goals are to:
  • communicate effectively
  • retrieve the payload
Retrieving the payload is my biggest concern as Florida is pretty much all water. As a result, my design is going to consist of a payload that can float. Up to now, I have my balloons ordered from Kaymont, two KCI200s and two KCI1200s.




Pretty exciting eh!? More posts to come as I make progress.

No comments: